Zoku Popsicle Maker: Nutella Fudgesicles

New gadgets are fun. I was leafing through (more like studying) the latest issue of Donna Hay magazine and saw this Zoku Quick Pop Makerthat makes popsicles in less than 10 minutes. It’s been out for awhile and reviewed in a bunch of places — here’s theKitchn’s take — but I’d just missed it somehow. Sure, you could just use some Dixie cups and popsicle sticks, but oooh, a new gadget! Ten minutes, not two hours! And yeah, it’s $50, but oooh, new gadget!

Half the fun was deciding what flavors to make. Nutella fudgesicle was the obvious one. I thought about pomegranate, pineapple/coconut milk, horchata and bought ingredients for all three. In the end, horchata was the other flavor. I figured we could just drink what we didn’t use for the popsicles.

Zoku pop. It's working! It's working!

Between the two, Nutella fudgesicle was the clear winner. Creamy, Nutella-y and not overly sweet. This is so crazy simple, it’s not even cooking. It’s mixing. It was Clotilde’s Super Simple Nutella ice cream recipe on Chocolate & Zucchini, that gave me the a-ha moment on the base. In her recipe, Clotilde mixes evaporated milk and Nutella — that’s it. So I said, ok, I can use less actual Nutella, and I’ll kick up the chocolate hazelnut flavor with Pacific hazelnut chocolate milk. The hazelnut chocolate milk is non-dairy, but Nutella itself has milk in it – so these popsicles aren’t strictly dairy-free.

I didn’t try any advanced popsicle making w/ multiple layers this time out. I’m thinking I’ll have to look at the Zoku toolkit and decide how involved I really want to get, but you gotta try orange creamsicle, right?! The list of flavors is just going to get longer and longer.

Nutella Fudgesicles

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert, Snack
Serves: 8 Zoku pops
Ingredients
  • 1½ c. Pacific Hazelnut Chocolate Milk
  • ½ c. Nutella
Instructions
  1. Whisk together the hazelnut milk and Nutella until mixed uniformly. Chill mixture for at least 2 hours.
  2. Pour into Zoku pop slots and chill for 7-9 minutes, per Zoku instructions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

113 comments

1. Leann says:

Try Blue Diamond Almond Coconut milk (sweetened or unsweetened) mixed with Earth Balance Peanut Butter Coconut or Peanut Butter & Co’s Dark Chocolate PB, White Chocolate PB or they even have a peanut butter that’s spicy. All gluten and dairy free! Enjoy!!

2. Keshia says:

I had exactly the right amount of Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino coffee drink left over so I used that in replace of milk. Currently waiting to see the results…excited!!!

• Keshia says:

aww man my stick came right out of the popsicle so instead I had to scrap this delicious contraption out of the popsicle maker, delicious, but may be next time I need to use a different perhaps more expensive popsicle maker.

• Alice says:

Keshia,
        Drill tiny holes in you sticks, and the popsicle will not slide off the stick. =)

3. tara says:

Do you know where I can get Pacific Hazelnut Chocolate Milk? I’ve checked a few close grocery stores, but couldn’t find it…

• Michelle says:

In Seattle, I get it at PCC, which is similar to Whole Foods. You can also try using the Where to Buy directory on the Pacific Natural Foods site. Hope that helps! If not, you’ll see in the comments that folks have tried other milks — both dairy and non, with good results!

4. Berni says:

Just purchased Zoku @ San Diego County Fair for 1/3rd off the cost online or William-Sonoma website. So excited to try the recipies. Don’t know where to start. Have been making “healtier alternative” popsicles every summer for the the family for years the “old fashioned” way, but am now looking for a more immediate gratification opportunity. Thanks for the blog.

5. MJ says:

Hey Ya’ll! Wonder if I could throw this into my frozen yogurt maker and make an ice cream type dessert out of this? Just a thought, b/c my kids luv them some Nutella and this sounds super yummy!

• Jen C says:

I’ve been throwing all sorts of stuff in my ice cream maker with great results. I just did homemade pudding, dairy free (used almond milk). It had cornstarch as a thickener, so I was nervous how that would freeze but it was AMAZING! Try it – even if it isn’t the best consistency it will still taste great.

6. Laura says:

Justin’s Nut Butter is similar to Nutella, but is dairy free and has less sugar. I think it tastes better, too.

7. Jes says:

I just found this recipe through a pin on Pinterest. I’m so excited to try it! I love my Zoku popsicle maker, and I love finding new recipes for it! I’ll be following your blog now too :) Thanks!

8. Rick says:

I may be a bit thick, but how is this gadget better than the dixie cup method? It sounds like you have to chill the mixture for a few hours before you can add ten minutes to the time to freeze it. I mean, why not just use the dixie cups for a few hours and spend the $50 on more Nutella? I’m not trying to be rude, I’m genuinely curious as to the benefit of this gadget. Thanks for the recipe, though! I’ll be putting this in dixie cups (as soon as the rain stops!)!

• Amy.Gar says:

Dixie cups are disposable. I would just pick up a 8-sicle molde at the local dollar store for $1. In fact. I did a few years ago. Works great. I did have to ask DH to drill tiny holes down the sticks so that they would not slip out of the lolly. Totally worthy purchase. Dollar well spent. You also don’t have to worry about running out of cups!

9. Angela says:

I just made these. I can’t wait to try them. I have a 3 yr little boy who is very picky about eating protein (doesn’t like meat). So I try to sneak it in when ever I can. I used 1 cup of 1% milk and a 1/2 c. of Plain Greek yogurt ( 15 grams per 1 cup) (. I also added a few banana slices to the molds. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

10. Katie says:

Yum! I buzzed the mix up in a blender and threw in a banana for an added health factor, these were great, thanks for sharing!

11. Barbara says:

I love my zoku!! Saw your post and immediately went to the freezer – nutella? check but what to add. I didn’t have chocolate milk at hand so threw in some half and half and some condensed milk (oh yes I did!). Watching them freeze right now, don’t know if I can wait 7 minutes…

• Michelle says:

Barbara- Sounds like they’ll be fantastic! I also just posted another fudgesicle…this time w/ cinnamon and cayenne. Thanks for stopping by!

• Barbara says:

Sad news – mine didn’t freeze. But all was not lost as my son and I scooped the lovely cold mixture out of the molds LOL! Will make the next batch as per your recipe. I love Nutella, back in the UK when I was little you could buy little packs, like the butter or jelly packs you would get in a restaurant, and they came with a plastic spoon to scoop out the nutella mmm mmmm…

• Michelle says:

Barbara – bummer! Maybe it was the ratio of the condensed milk to half and half? I know I’ve seen a recipe from Zoku w/ both those ingredients, but…

• Becky says:

I can’t wait to try the Nutella-sicles TODAY! But the cinnamon and cayenne – GENIUS! How did they turn out?

12. Cathy says:

They sound great but it’s freezing here. I wonder if I remember when summer comes around.

13. Nancy says:

From Amazon (towards the bottom)

The unit can make up to 9 pops before refreezing the unit again.

14. Julie says:

Do you chill the mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours before pouring into the molds? or do you pour it in the molds right away and put them in the freezer for a couple of hours? Sorry–I just wasn’t sure and want to try this tonight :-)

• Michelle says:

Hi Julie – Yep, I chill the mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours before putting it into the molds. The Zoku is one of those where you keep the base in the freezer until you use it. If you’re using regular molds, I’d definitely put the mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours to give it a head start and then freeze after pouring in the mix. Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by!

• Ginny says:

As a dieter, I was about almond milk as it has less calories. Maybe use some chocolate extract for more flavor.

• Alice says:

I too use almond milk. Blue Diamond makes Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk that only has 40 calories per cup, and it adds a creamy vanilla flavor. I found it after learning all the negatives of soy milk, and realizing that I was lactose intolerant. Also, Hershey makes Sugar-Free Chocolate Syrup that only has 7-1/2 calories per Tbsp.

• Katie says:

It sounds to me that the remaining 1/2 c. could make two extra popsicles. If there’s 1/2 c. left over, that means 1 1/2 c. mixture made 6 popsicles, ie, 2 popsicles per 1/2 c. I don’t know why it said ‘6 popsicles with 1/2 cup left over,’ rather than ‘makes 8 popsicles’; then again, I haven’t made these yet so that’s just a guess. It might get an awkward texture as the rest of the mixture is used or something.. .

• Michelle says:

Katie – You’re absolutely right. This was one of my first attempts at a recipe for the Zoku, so I hadn’t yet figured out that 1.5 c. of liquid makes 6 popsicles. The extra half cup will yield you two more pops.

• Brooke Metcalf says:

Couldn’t you also pour the mixture into small Dixie cups, put in the freezer and when they start to firm up, insert a popsicle stick. Same tasty result and you save $50 on the gizmo.

• Michelle says:

Hi Brooke – Absolutely! We used ice cube trays to make mini-popsicles when I was a kid. The upside of the Zoku for me is that the popsicles can be done in 10 minutes rather than a few hours.

• heather says:

there are cheaper versions of this gadget too. i just saw one at Target for around $30 i THINK it was a hamilton beach but im not positive on the brand…still trying to figure out where i could store this in my gadget filled kitchen LOL

• Bella says:

I look forward to trying the recipe. But I will have to set the pops in my old fashioned tupperware popsicle maker. The machine is too expensive.

15. kirsten says:

i can’t find pacific hazelnut chocolate milke anywhere, can someone please tell me something i can put in place of it ?!

16. Michelle W says:

I don’t understand why people have to be negative.
    If you want to try the recipe – do.
    If you don’t – then don’t.
    If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.
    Just b/c someone posts a blog that contains a recipe doesn’t mean that you are required to read it, like it, want it, make it, eat it…

• Megan Parker says:

Seriously. It’s treats people, get over yourself. Thanks for sharing Michelle!

• jeanette duurvoort says:

Thnk you Michelle, Dorothy, Megan! The voices of reason . This is why I end up “blocking’ some blogs Everyone has their own…. thing. If you have to vent, turn away from the computer.

• Dana says:

This is the third blog today that I have read that had some negative comments on it!! I agree with you, Michelle, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!! This also works in MANY social situations, but especially when one is sitting behind a computer!!

In the meantime, I cannot wait to try these !!

• Janet says:

Some people clearly have nothing else to do but leave negative comments all over the net. I ran into the same thing the other night on theASPCA site . Gees comment something positive not always negative and belittling to others. Like Michelle said….no one is forcing you to try their recipes and many of us appreciate a recipe someone has tried and liked.

• michelle says:

Really Jen?? Not all diabetics can’t have sugar. Sorry your post struck me as snarky. As an artifical pancreas to my diabetic kid, well he CAN and DOES have sugar with appropriate amount of insulin. But thanks for the input.

• Becka says:

Another voice for the type 1 diabetic children who can eat sugar in moderation. The reason I clicked on this is because I need healthy, lower carb snacks for my son and these fit the bill.

• Val says:

I absolutely LOVE Nutella. Will give this recipe a try. But not for my type 1 diabetic husband :( . Chocolate is healthy, and so are hazelnuts. But neither of these are the highest concentration ingredients in Nutella. Sugar is the first ingredient…. Nutella recently agreed to a $3 million settlement in order to end four class-action suits filed by a group of American mothers against their misleading ads to portray their product as healthy… This said, my husband’s body is becoming increasingly resistant to synthetic insuline and managing his sugar level is now a struggle. He now has to avoid all carbs. One thing we have learned is it’s better to go easy on sugar…

• Shellie says:

On the Chocolate Covered Katie site she makes her own knock off on Nutella. You might check it out I think is was much lower in sugar. It might help if you like those favors. She has some great recipes that work great for my WW diet, but I am not diabetic so I don’t
          know for sure if they will be healthy enough to meet your needs.

• Barb says:

hi, my boyfriend is diabetic and always trying to find something that he will like that won’t be full of sugar. did you end up making these and how were they… thanks.

barb

17. Julia says:

Thanks for sharing! I mixed 1/2 cup cold skim milk and 1/6 cup Nutella which yielded 3 Zoku popsicles. They were creamy, delicious and only 98 calories each!

Comments are closed.