As soon as it gets gorgeous out, the first thing you want to do is whip the cover off the grill and throw on some burgers and dogs. But what about after that? With a stretch of nice days its easy to run through your usual grilling repertoire and run out of ideas. So why don’t we do a little island-inspired grilled chicken? Pineapple Passion Fruit Glazed Chicken we first made during our trip to Kaua’i in February.
Like all vacation cooking, this recipe started as a hodge-podge of what was in the fridge. The pineapple juice was for cocktails, the citrus for salad dressing and the passion fruit (lilikoi) jelly went with yogurt and granola for breakfast. With a few additional ingredients, those three come together to make an island-inspired glaze that almost puts you under a palm tree with an umbrella drink in your hand.
If you want the real deal, you can pick up Pele’s Fire Hawaiian Seasoning Salt and Aunty Lilikoi’s Passion Fruit Jelly online, or if happen to be on Kaua’i, the Foodland in Princeville carries both. On the Mainland, Hawaiian Sun also makes a passion fruit jelly you can find at World Market.
- Spice Mix
- ¼ t. kosher salt
- ¼ t. sweet paprika
- ¼ t. ancho chile powder
- 1 ½ c. canned pineapple juice
- 2 T. passion fruit (lilikoi) jelly
- ½ an orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 pinch of spice mix (recipe above)
- 2 slices of fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- To make the glaze, combine pineapple juice, passion fruit jelly, orange juice, lime juice, chile powder mix, ginger and garlic in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until syrupy and reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Pour ¼ c. or so of the sauce into a small bowl for basting the chicken. Reserve the rest for serving.
- Sprinkle the remaining spice mix over the chicken on both sides.
- Grill the chicken on the first side for 3-4 minutes. Turn and baste with sauce. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until cooked through, basting one more time just before removing the chicken from the grill.
- Serve with grilled peppers, onions and mushrooms.